News‎ > ‎

GAA Notes 14th May 2012

posted May 17, 2012, 2:54 PM by Mark Baldwin   [ updated May 17, 2012, 2:54 PM ]
Sponsored by Tallow Area Credit Union

Tallow GAA Lotto- supported by Kearney's Restaurant Tallow
14/5/12 Numbers Drawn 4,16,18,24 No Winner
Consolation Prizes Roland Clancy Pat Mc Grath Mairead Sheehan Pat Daly
Promoter Mary Buckley
Next Draw Keniry's 21/5/12 Jackpot €4200

Senior Hurling Championship
Tallow 1-13 Roanmore 0-16
Roanmore snatched a late but not undeserved draw from us on Saturday night to spoil our chances of a 100% return from our first two group games. In truth we struggled for long periods of this game and only led twice over the course of the seventy minutes but showed character to score three of the last four points of the game and finish strongly for the second game in a row.
     Roanmore started much the better and were three points to no score ahead after five minutes before Eoin Condon got us off the mark with a point. Roanmore were winning most of the battles in the opening quarter as they added two more points to stretch their lead to four points after fourteen minutes. An opportunist goal beautifully finished by Thomas Ryan on 15 minutes led to revival in our performance and, with Evan and Thomas showing they had the beating of their men in the corner, we controlled the next five minutes. points from Aaron Pratt, Thomas Ryan again and a Rob O Sullivan free meant we outscored Roanmore by five points in that period and led by a point after twenty minutes. Roanmore kicked on again with three unanswered points which were then responded to by two Rob O Sullivan frees to level the match once more. Roanmore again surged in the final moments of the half and two pointed frees left them two points up at the break, 0-11 to 1-6.
    Luckily Tom Casey wasn't trying to take his seat after halftime because if he was, he would have been on the field for Tallow's first two points of the second half as an Evan Sheehan point and a Rob O Sullivan free got us back on level terms in the opening minute of second half play. Roanmore showed no sign of wilting though and continued to draw frees from our backline, two pointed frees of their own reestablishing their two point lead after forty minutes. The teams swapped a brace of points over the next ten minutes to leave Roanmore still clinging on to their two point advantage with just eight minutes remaining. Paul Kearney, who gladdened the hearts of our supporters by making a long-awaited return from injury after 50 minutes, slotted over a point to reduce the deficit to one and when Thomas Ryan was fouled for the umpteenth time Rob O Sullivan showed his usual accuracy to level the match with injury time looming. More drama came as Thomas Ryan, by now operating around midfield, picked up the ball and outsprinted several Roanmore pursuers on the right wing to score a point for the ages off his hurley and give us a precious lead. Roanmore weren't going down easily though and they calmly worked the ball upfield to level the match in the dying seconds
Team: S O Sullivan, K Kearney, D O Brien, A Kearney, K O Brien, M O Brien, W Henley, K Geary, P O Brien, A Pratt, J Murray, R O Sullivan, E Sheehan, E Condon, T Ryan. Subs L White for Condon, P Kearney for J Murray.
       Results elsewhere in the group have opened up the qualification process once again. Neither Dunhill nor Roanmore are the soft touches people expected them to be and Dunhill's result in defeating Mount Sion shows our performance last week in a much better light. Our next match is Sunday 27th May at 7pm in Dungarvan against De La Salle and this promises to be a stern examination of our skill and character