News‎ > ‎

GAA Notes 17th September 2012

posted Sep 16, 2012, 11:40 PM by Mark Baldwin
Sponsored by Tallow Area Credit Union

Senior Hurling
Dungarvan 1-16 Tallow 1-10
Our senior hurling campaign ended last Saturday in Fraher Field as Dungarvan put on scoring bursts at the end of each half to prove too strong for us in the county quarter final. We battled hard for long periods of the game but Dungarvan were able to find scores that little bit easier. Talking to some people directly after the game, there was a feeling that a semi final berth would be a lost cause for us. However looking at the performances of Mount Sion and Lismore in the two subsequent quarter finals they showed what can be done if you don't show any respect to the big names and maybe the gap isn't as great as some would  think.
     An early Dungarvan free was answered by a good Paul O Brien point after eight minutes. A minute later we were in the driving seat as William Henley showed a clean pair of heels down the left wing to crash home a superb goal to give us a three point lead. Dungarvan responded with a point before a good block by Kieran Geary led to another Thomas Ryan point and on the quarter hour we were two points to the good. Kieran Geary got a point of his own to extend our lead but Dungarvan were settling better now and winning more ball around the middle and they reeled off five unanswered points in a row in the last ten minutes of the half. Sadly we were dealt a severe blow five minutes before halftime when Paul O Brien had to retire with a nasty hand injury. An injury time point from Paul Kearney reduced the deficit to the minimum and at halftime it was Dungarvan 0-8 Tallow 1-4
     We started the second half well as our tactic of an extra body in midfield worked well and gave a plentiful supply of ball into our forward line. With Fada and James Murray majestic in defence, a good point from Shane Feeney and a Thomas Ryan free put us into the lead but, in their first attack of the half, Dungarvan broke through for a goal to give them a lead which they would keep for the rest of the game. Two Thomas Ryan frees were sandwiched in between four Dungarvan points in the next ten minutes to give them a four point lead with ten minutes left. William Curley got us a bit closer with a good point from play but Dungarvan scored two of their own to reestablish their lead. A William Henley point with a minute to go proved to be our last score of the game and Dungarvan added two points in injury time to run out six point winners 1-16 to 1-10.
Team: S O Sullivan, S Mc Carthy, D O Brien, K Kearney, B Henley, J Murray, K Curley, M O Brien, W Curley, T Ryan, S Feeney, W Henley, P O Brien, K Geary, P Kearney. Subs A Pratt for B Henley, S Tobin for P Kearney.

Junior Football
We play Shamrocks in the semi final of the Western Junior Football championship next Saturday 22nd September at 5:30 in Lismore.