News‎ > ‎

GAA Notes 5th May 2014

posted May 10, 2014, 6:45 AM by Mark Baldwin
Senior Hurling
Dungarvan 2-21 Tallow 2-11 
We came out second best in Lismore last Sunday evening when Dungarvan's forward power and scoring touch proved too much for our youthful defence. Dungarvan scored early and often and we were always chasing the game.
   Dungarvan had four early points on the board after three minutes as they moved with fluency and ease before Rob O sullivan had our first point from a free in the fourth minute. Two more points fromplay from Dungarvan had them six points to one up after seven minutes with Thomas Ryan very unlucky to miss a goal chance. Paul O Brien got our first point from play on 8 minutes with a fine effort and we then got motoring as Thomas Ryan got a point from play before cleverly keeping a 65 in play to allow Bob McCarthy to finish to the net to level things up after 13 minutes. Dungarvan pushed on again and with their forward line looking very impressive they racked up 1-4 without reply to lead by seven after 23 minutes. Rob O Sullivan got two good points from play, the second after a great run from William Henley, to reply to another Dungarvan point and when Rob got another free, the margin was back to six. However a crucial Dungarvan goal in injury time gave them a valuable halftime cushion, 2-13 to 1-7.
       Bob McCarthy was on hand again just after the break to crash home a loose ball to the Dungarvan net and inch us a little bit closer. Dungarvan responded again with two points from play to make it 2-15 to 2-7, 10 minutes into the second half. Two Rob O Sullivan came either side of two Dungarvan points. A Paul O brien point from play reduced the gap to seven points as Rob O Sullivan got his final free five minutes from time. Two Dungarvan frees in the last five minutes rounded off the scoring to leave a ten point gap at the finish 2-21 to 2-11.
Team: S O Sullivan, J Tobin, D O Brien, K Kearney, J Beecher, M O Brien, K O Brien, P O Brien, J Murray, M Curley, R O Sullivan, W Henley, T Ryan, J Henley, B McCarthy. Subs W Curley for J Beecher S Tobin for B McCarthy
     It's been five years since we beat Dungarvan in Cappoquin with a last minute goal and it's clear that their huge investment in underage has paid dividends and put them on a level above our lads. Our day will come too and these last two games, even though we have been second-best, will have brought our three minor hurlers on a lot. Six players who played senior hurling last year were unavailable on Saturday night due to injury or other reasons and along with injury depriving us of Kieran Geary and Aidan Kearney, that is a big ask for any team.
Our next game is against Ballyduff and is fixed for the weekend of the 31st May, exact time and venue to be decided.

Junior Hurling
Dungarvan 3-15 Tallow 2-8
    Our junior hurlers had a tough assignment against a strong Dungarvan side on Bank Holiday Monday. The team was as youthful (with only four over 23) as last week and we put in some good performances but Dungarvan had a bit too much on the day.
    Ryan Grey's accuracy from frees in the first half saw him help himself to five points and along with a goal from Sean Curley and point from Kevin Henley left us five points down at halftime 2-8 to 1-6.
   Dungarvan stepped it up after halftime and kept their lead, outscoring us by 1-7 to 1-2, our goal coming from Matthew Ahearne, who also got a point and another from Kevin Henley.
Team: D Tobin, K Fraser, E Hickey, W Tobin, J Neville, B Henley, R Beecher, M Ahearne, N Condon, K Henley, R grey, M Barry, A Curley, S Curley, J Power Sub B Buckley for J Power